The Santa Clara County Fairgrounds Management Corporation (“SCCFMC”) conducts an annual County Fair that includes Stills/Home Arts, Junior Livestock, and Agriculture Education Exhibits, a Junior Livestock Auction, amusement rides, various vendors, multi-cultural activities, and live music events.
The Exhibits Assistant assists the Fair, Livestock and Exhibits Manager (“Fair Manager”) in the planning, organization, and administration of the daily activities of the annual Fair in accordance with State of California, County of Santa Clara and local laws, rules, and regulations. The Exhibits Assistant coordinates the various home arts exhibits and other contests including set-up and removal of these displays including displays presented by non-profits and community groups. Works with the Livestock Assistant in the preparation and production of the scheduled livestock shows and provides assist in other tasks assigned by the Fair Manager.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides support to the Agriculture Assistant in connection with the organization, creation, and production of the “Little Hands on the Farm” exhibit.
- Outreach to spinners, weavers, and various other crafters to perform demonstrations in Home Arts building during the fair.
- Contact owners of floral shops, bakeries, and hobby painting/needle art groups to create “hands on” workshops for public participation with items that can be entered in the fair.
- Assist with the arrival, set-up and removal of the Stills/Home Arts displays.
- Coordinate judging/comment cards, along with inputting placings in ShoWorks (livestock auction software) and coordinate judging of outstanding exhibitor entries.
- Coordinate the removal and release of displayed items.
- Coordinate contests including Home Brew and Amateur Wine contests with Fair
Manager and Home Arts staffing.
- Assign and arrange spaces for displays presented by non-profits and community groups.
- Assist in the preparation of the various competitions that are scheduled before, during and after the Fair. Tasks include pulling ribbons, printing judging sheets, and other duties assigned by the Fair Manager.
- Attend monthly Livestock and Home Arts committee meetings.
BS degree/studies or equivalent professional/work experience:
- Emphasis in Agricultural studies and hands on experience in connection with Fair competitions.
- Basic understanding of Fair practices and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of livestock breeds and various home arts including classifications and judging standards.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and accommodate early mornings, daytime, nights, weekends, and holiday hours, as needed.
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to speak and/or write Spanish (preferred).
Skills & Experience:
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, organization, time management, decision making, motivational skills, knowledge of Fair industry standards, regulations, and guidelines; attention to detail and customer service skills.
This position requires the physical ability to perform tasks in an office setting, operating computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment, as well as the ability to assist with setting up daily facility operations. These may involve assisting with moving potentially heavy equipment such as tables, boxes, chairs, pop-up tents, etc.; and being physically present and engaging with the public during the scheduled activities.
This is a small, fast paced, deadline oriented, creative non-profit organization that schedules and manages a multitude of various events, including special events. The performance of duties may require walking over hilly and uneven terrain, working around farm animals, exposure to loud noises, and adverse weather conditions. This position requires flexibility in scheduling as necessary. Daily work schedules may vary as coordinated with the Fair Manager.
This is a part-time, hourly position. Typical work hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Hours are variable and will frequently require working evenings, weekends, and holidays. Position reports directly to the Fair Manager.
The Exhibits Assistant is a part-time, hourly position. Compensation is $26.96 per hour.
Santa Clara County Fairgrounds Management Corporation