The Santa Clara County Fairgrounds Management Corporation (“SCCFMC”) conducts an annual County Fair that includes Stills/Home Arts, Junior Livestock, and Agriculture Education Exhibits, a Junior Livestock Auction, amusement rides, various vendors, multi-cultural activities, and live music events.
The Agricultural Assistant assists the Fair, Livestock and Exhibits Manager (“Fair Manager”) in the planning, organization, and administration of the daily activities of the annual Fair in accordance with State of California, County of Santa Clara and local laws, rules, and regulations.
The Agricultural Assistant coordinates the various agriculture education programs, including livestock and home arts exhibits. Collaborates with agricultural groups to design, create and build a successful agricultural theme for the annual Fair. Works to integrate the agricultural component into other special events held at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate specific and detailed activities and tasks with the Exhibits and Livestock Assistants.
- Collaborate with Livestock Assistant on the creation and production of the “Little Hands on the Farm” agricultural education component of the annual Fair.
- Solicits agriculture-based companies and commodity groups for free hand-outs and educational materials.
- Coordinate with home arts committees in the set-up and production of the “Home Arts” activities in the designated Fairgrounds building.
- Outreach and coordinate with community groups and local school districts for the inclusion of interactive displays in connection with agriculture education activities such as milking a cow, planting seeds, harvesting plants, and livestock breeds, parts, and other education facts, including crafters who spin wool and fleece.
- Attend monthly Livestock and Home Arts committee meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
BS degree/studies or equivalent professional/work experience:
- Emphasis in Agricultural studies and hands on experience.
- Basic understanding of Fair practices and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of livestock breeds and various home arts including classifications and judging standards.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and accommodate early mornings, daytime, nights, weekends, and holiday hours, as needed.
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledgeable or experience in working with Fair software (ShoWorks).
- Ability to speak and/or write Spanish (preferred).
Skills & Experience:
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, organization, time management, decision making, motivational skills, knowledge of Fair industry standards, regulations and guidelines; attention to detail and customer service skills.
This position requires the physical ability to perform tasks in an office setting, operating computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment, as well as the ability to assist with setting up daily facility operations. These may involve assisting with moving potentially heavy equipment such as tables, boxes, chairs, pop-up tents, etc.; and being physically present and engaging with the public during the scheduled activities.
This is a small, fast paced, deadline oriented, creative non-profit organization that schedules and manages a multitude of various events, including special events. The performance of duties may require walking over hilly and uneven terrain, working around farm animals, exposure to loud noises, and adverse weather conditions. This position requires flexibility in scheduling as necessary. Daily work schedules may vary as coordinated with the Fair Manager.
This is a part-time, hourly position. Typical work hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on site at the Fairgrounds. Hours are variable and will frequently require working evenings, weekends, and holidays. Position reports directly to the Fair Manager.
The Agricultural Assistant is a part-time, hourly position. Compensation is $26.96 per hour.
Santa Clara County Fairgrounds Management Corporation